Friday, August 3, 2012

The Place Promised in Our Early Days


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan, Tyler

This is the other Makoto Shinkai film I wanted to check out before the Anime festival. Again we are dealing with the nostalgia of childhood and a very sombre love triangle. However this time this is also a parallel universe slant from an alternate history of a divided country. All just really cool sci-fi style metaphors for the same issue, that of being separated, just like 5 Centimetres Per Second.

The whole sci-fi plot that's going on has a tendency to get a little confusing I don't think that even really matters as much as the emotion, again, very sincere. Also very pretty. One of the bonuses of animation is you can make every scene set at magic hour if you want. Shinkai certainly takes every opportunity he has.

I think his previous effort is the cleaner, more relatable film. As much as I love all the sci-fi stuff I think it tends to bog down the film in places. Perhaps another viewing is in order for clarification, but I still enjoyed the watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment