Thursday, August 2, 2012

5 Centimetres Per Second


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Jordan

I've been meaning to check out some of Makoto Shinkai's work for a long time now. The animation and artwork really is as beautiful as people say. Stunning even. The film uses a lot of faked narrow depth of field to get all that beautiful filmic bokeh. A lot of the more modern digital compositing techniques are used to great effect here, something those old-school animators seem to be afraid or unaware of.

The film itself is made in 3 parts. Little poems about the growing distance between people. Very sad stuff. It has heart firmly on sleeve, never eases you into it either so if you aren't prepared I think the unwavering sincerity could easily backfire. Most likely due to the segments being so short and the film being a little over an hour it doesn't spend the time to lay out much groundwork. It didn't quite get me all the way there, I need more of a lead in but I think that's my personal taste. It's sure to bore some and enrapture others, so your milage may vary.

You can't doubt though that it's a visual feast. Everyday images somehow become magic and artistic. That's the wonder of animation I guess. I'll try and check out some more before the Reel Anime festival starts next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment