Friday, September 12, 2014

The Maze Runner


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Michael, Kate, Andrew

Oh man, It's getting hard to keep up with these dystopic young adult book series adaptations. At least here they don't bother with the love triangle, much more of a guys adventures flick, focused more on the mystery and the action. Great!

I do love mazes. I love the look of the film and Wes Ball's debut feature is quite the effort. His short film Ruin was really neat and shares a lot in terms of style. The action works well, the effects are pretty good, the kids are all fine, playing their various tropes and there's a lot of fun to be had.

Unfortunately it's another film that's gonna have to wait for sequels to start getting big picture answers. Which means we cross our fingers and hope the numbers are sufficient to warrant the telling of the next book. While there is a self contained story in the film it's nearly satisfying enough for the mystery hound in me.

But it has some really great creatures. Good and creepy. And surprise Patricia Clarkson, that's always the best. Just like in Shutter Island.

I had much fun with this film, especially the first two thirds. When it became clear the film was going to end with a bit of a cliffhanger it became harder to stay invested. Now it feels like i can't judge this film on it's own, I have to wait until I've seen how it pans out before I decide if I like it or not. So I'll say, what I've seen is promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment