Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Grace of Monaco


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi

I'd say 50% of this film consists of extreme close ups on Nicole Kidman's teary eyes.

So I don't know much about Grace Kelly, except that she was pretty funny in Rear Window. But the film plays a get out of jail free card with its opening caption stating it's not meant to be historically accurate.

Which is a good thing because the film seems to suggest that her greatest role as an actress was that of a mother and a princess. Like they were not in any way real, that her life's work after leaving hollywood was only for show. Kind of belittling if you think about it.

Irrespective of all that, theres some interesting drama in the film and Nicole Kidman and cast all perform adequately. I can't vouch for the authenticity of Kidman's portrayal, I've really only seen Kelly in Rear Window and High Society, which I didn't care for at all.

For some reason, despite all the beautiful locations and period settings, the cinematography really bothered me. I just really dislike all that blooming over exposed glowing.

The film feels like it was shot and edited by someone from the period in which the film was set. And I don't mean that as a compliment. Very slow and more than a few odd editing choices. So many extreme close ups and the rest was very plain. But I guess people that go to see this film are only interested in the story and the princess.

Didn't do much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment