Thursday, June 5, 2014

Edge of Tomorrow


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Naomi, Leo, Beau

Still prefer the original title "All You Need is Kill."

This was really great fun. I've always enjoyed watching other people play video games as I'm not that good at them myself and this it the closest I've seen a film come to portraying the constant respawning and learning how to beat a level from your previous mistakes whilst at the same time Emily Blunt provides a great emotional investment that develops organically from this process. She also kicks a fair amount of ass herself.

I've written before about the dangers of flatlining tension when a character has the power to reset events at any moment. This film manages a very tricky balancing act that keeps the stakes high when they need to be and never falls into the trap of feeling repetitious. It's actually very clever how it all works when really it shouldn't at all.

I'll put that down to good writing, direction and acting. It's a fine looking film to be sure. I really love those alien designs and the their movement is glorious and horrifying. Must have been a nightmare to rig and animate... And those exo-suits are pretty neat too. The 3d? Eh, it was ok.

You get to see Tom Cruise die. A lot.

Really well rounded film. I'm of two minds about the very very end but everything up to then is all ace so I can't really begrudge it anything, I'll definitely be seeing this one again on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment