Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Fifth Estate


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

Now that Bill Condon is done with Twilight he's back to more serious material. Got to admit I didn't really follow the whole Wikileaks thing but perhaps I'm more up to speed now. Benedict Cumberbatch does a great Australian accent too.

Well it seems Condon isn't as confident as David Fincher in making a movie about a website interesting and resorts to a lot of stylistic gimmicks to visualise the online world. The flashiness and pace of the first 40 minutes is dizzying but eventually the film settles into its story and characters.

I actually enjoyed this far more than I thought I was going to despite the try-hard editing. I can't fault it for keeping pace, the actors all do good work and the story it tells is certainly interesting, especially if you didn't really know much about it going in.

No comments:

Post a Comment