Monday, November 25, 2013

How I Live Now


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

I love a good end of the world drama. Even a teen romance end of the world drama. And though this film is great for all you romantics out there, it also played surprisingly hard ball with its apocalyptic grimness. I few moments took me by surprise but the way it eases you into it makes me think that going in, the less you know about it, the better. Beautifully shot and an interesting evolution of style from beginning to end.

I thought it was a little disappointing that they felt the need to add in voice over right at the end when the film played fine without it. I think the ending would have too, the young actors are good enough to convey everything we need to know. It's a great little ensemble.

I do love these settings and the world building here is a great playground for the drama. I don't think the central relationship is developed enough at the beginning to invest us appropriately but the constant threat of death is motivation enough for the journey. Cool film.

No comments:

Post a Comment