Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

I fell head over heels in love with the first instalment. News of a sequel and a change of directors made me very nervous. Well the stunning rubbery animation and character design is intact, the gourgous lighting and technical simulations are astounding (the first film had jelly, this film has the equally tricky task of making syrup) and the manic humor is back.

What lets the film down is the story, which doesn't really know what to do to further develop the characters. It means the great emotional heart the first film had isn't there and most of the side characters   are under utilised or don't have any purpose apart from making a few jokes and making call backs to the first film.

The film has a more distinct villain this time around and as a character he's not the strongest. But despite all this I still had a massive grin from ear to ear on my face throughout the entire film so it's by no means a waste of time. There's plenty to enjoy here and I'll definitely be going back to give it another look. The Dr. Who special took up all the 3D screens today so I'm hoping when this gets a wide release I'll be able to see it's visual splendour in all dimensions. But even if that's not an option I'd still like to go back and just look at all the gags in the background. And maybe go Sasquash hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment