Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Letter to Momo


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Michael

Managed to squeeze this in before the Anime festival this year came to a close. Good thing too, because it was by far the most enjoyable of the films I saw. Every time I saw those goblins in press releases and on posters I couldn't help but crack up. What great character design. And they are even better when animated and speaking.

It's a sweet little story about a girl coping with a big shift in her life. I guess traditionally she'd be whisked away to a magical land to learn to find herself but here, the magic invades her life and manages to screw it up even more.

The character drama works much better here, none of the melodrama the Japanese seem so fond of, much more realistic and even handed. And the goblin characters are adorable and hilarious. Looks shmick, as you'd expect from Production I.G. A real winner. Seek it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment