Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Field in England


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

Ben Wheatley's latest feels a throwback to 70's expressionism. At least it's what I imagine European arthouse films were like then. There's probably much more to it that Im' picking up but I just found it utterly bizarre. There's a lot of mushroom eating, so perhaps that accounts for some of the trippyness. There's also a sinister supernatural undertone. It didn't help that I was having trouble staying awake whilst watching and already completely surreal dream like film.

That line between pretentious and meaningful is going to be different for everyone. I'm straddling a bit but leaning more to the former. I do appreciate many of the sequences are effective though. Wheatley has crafted a great sound design and plays around with his editing a lot. The film is interspersed with tableaux and song.

The actors all do great with what they're asked. It's often very funny, perhaps sometimes unintentionally. I'm not sure, it's hard to tell.

It's not a film I can easily recommend but it will have its fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment