Friday, March 22, 2013

Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes

Takashi Miike made a 3D movie. I never know what to expect from a Miike film, the prolific filmmaker jumps from style and genre almost as fast as he spits out his films on a half yearly basis. Here we have a very restrained, slow and steady tale. A contained and simple tragedy morning the loss of an era. In that sense the 3D was surprisingly restrained as well. 

Now I made the mistake of watching this at a late sessions straight after another 3D movie when I was already tired. The 3D projection was less than desirable, I've never been to a cinema with active shutter glasses, they were uncomfortable and made the image pitch black and reading subtitles on top of all that eye train when you are tired and watching a slow paced film really didn't help. But none of that is really the fault of the film, I was still engaged in the story. 

Don't mistake this for an action packed samurai tale. It's anything but. It felt more like one small plot of a Shakespearian tragedy. I don't know much of the original film but from what I hear this is a more intimate and focused approach to the classic. Can't wait to see what Miike comes out with next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment