Monday, February 25, 2013

Amour


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

Saw half of the Oscars but before best foreign film was announced I went to the first public screening of this, which won the award whilst I was viewing it. Just made it. Wish I didn't have to wait so long to see it though. And I wished they would play it in a normal cinema, like every other state in the country, instead of an exclusive season at an outdoor cinema with some of the most uncomfortable seats invented.

I love Michael Haneke's films and his stark, observational style. And here he's made one of his most straight forward and accessible films with two committed lead performances. It's a very frank film about getting old.

Not nearly as subversive or dark as his other films but it certainly has its moments. It definitely feels like his most heartfelt work though, even though it's just as cold and unflinching as the rest of his catalogue. I look forward to seeing it again in a more comfortable environment when I've had a bit more sleep beforehand. But even so I very much enjoyed Hanake's latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment