Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Arbitrage


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I resent films that make me squirmy and uncomfortable but at the same time have to recognise the filmmakers skill at getting such reactions from the audience. Just watching a character make immoral decisions and lying and seeing them dig themselves deeper into trouble but still remain invested in their story is quite a feat.

I gotta admit I'm not sure I would have been so sympathetic had Al Pacino still been cast and not swapped with Richard Gere. It would have felt quite different I think.

Nicholas Jarecki certainly makes a confident first time narrative film writer director. This one turned the knife in all the right places I think. Hard to say I enjoyed it but I thought it was competently made and does exactly what it sets out to.

No comments:

Post a Comment