Friday, September 28, 2012

Looper


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler

Rian Johnson finally has his new film out! And it is a lot of fun. I have to take issue with the time travel though, you should all know where I stand on this. Paradoxical. That's a no no. But you know what, despite what the trailer leeds you to believe the whole looper time travel thing is pretty much just a first act set-up for a slightly different conundrum. 

Yeah yeah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Bruce Willis make-up is a little trippy. But he does act and sound a hell of a lot like him. That's kinda fun. Paul Dano, didn't I just see you in Ruby Sparks? I literally just saw Emily Blunt in Your Sister's Sister. Save some for the other guys, geez. Also, Garret Dillahunt, I love seeing you show up in supporting roles in all the cool films. Your characters seem to always have the most unfortunate bad luck though don't they?

I must take a moment to point out the score. Because it is pretty awesome

Ok so I don't know how much I should say about what happens in the 2nd half of the film but I will say that little kid is great. The film has a very odd structure, that's to be expected in films dealing with time travel I guess, but this film still plays out very linear and doesn't use the time travel for much else except the set up. It has quite a few things to juggle and I don't think all of them fit together as well as they could but overall it's an entertaining film. I think I expected it to be more tricky with it's time play given 
Rian Johnson and Shane Carruth's involvement. But it's pretty straight forward. And Bruce Willis kills people with guns. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment