Monday, June 11, 2012

11-11-11


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

I was reading an interview with Darren Lynn Bousman the other day and realised this film never came out in Australia. I've enjoyed his other films to varying degrees so I thought I might give it a try.

You can't help but think of the Number 23 film when talking about number based conspiracy theories. This is a very different beast though, it's all biblical and religious.

It also benefitted from my having just watch The Innkeepers, so I was primed for some good scares. And what jumped out at me most, after having watch a very slow methodical horror film, was just how fast the start of this film moves along. It cuts through exposition like a knife and before you know it you're in Barcelona and demonic angel things are popping up trying to scare you.

Ultimately the film doesn't hold together that well, and I suspected as much after hearing Bousman talk about the huge problems he ran into shooting in another country with no budget. There's a few nice bits but it really doesn't ease you into any of the huge leaps the film takes.

However I'm still looking forward to he next projects. I like the release strategies he's developed after being burned by his last 2 films. I hope they get releases here.

No comments:

Post a Comment