Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Men in Black


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

Been a loooong time since I watched this one. But I used to watch it so often I still remember all of it. It was a big risk at the time of release but one that paid off.

It also hit when I was right in the target audience demographic. And it had ILM and Rick Baker making aliens, it was a comedy/action and had a neat Danny Elfman score, all things I loved.

Watching it again now, I can see how expensive a risk this would have been, especially when there was nothing like it out there at the time and everyone presumed sci-fi and comedy would not work. It was also smaller scale than I recall, the climax is pretty simple, especially compared to the other two.

Will Smith's outfits before he dons the suit date the film pretty firmly.

So, groundbreaking fx work for the time and they hold up pretty well too. I love the casting of Vincent D'Onofrio as the bad guy, he's great. Most importantly though the unusual pairing of Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith works wonders. The perfect pairing of the wise cracker and the straight man.

Great to catch up with again and finally an excuse to watch it on bluray.

No comments:

Post a Comment