Saturday, May 26, 2012

Chinatown


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I ordered the bluray from overseas and it has finally arrived. David Fincher does a commentary track with the writer so I had a listen. Fantastic.

What does one say about this film? It's right up there as one of the all time greats in my opinion. I love it. A brooding Neo-noir that just gets better every time you watch. So much going on. The bluray shows off the beautifully shot anamorphic images and Jerry Goldsmith's hauntingly beautiful score, which I just learned from the extras he wrote in 9 days, replacing an original score he was unhappy with. Interesting, especially as it is now one of the most iconic scores of his.

Brilliant directing, one of the best screenplays ever written and a handful of iconic performances. Really draws you and and then packs a punch.

Fincher goes into great detail on why he loves the film and talks a lot about the psychology of it, which is fascinating. He also says a few things he would have done differently which is pretty funny.

So great to watch again, I expect I'll be watching it without the commentary soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment