Thursday, April 26, 2012

DeepStar Six

IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

I can never watch The Abyss again for the first time. That's one of the sad things about storytelling. I still love revisiting it though, it's one of those great movies that has everything in it and really takes you along for the ride. But thankfully for me Hollywood produced not one but SIX underwater adventure/creature films in 1989. SIX. (Out of them all the only other one I have seen is Leviathan, but they also include The Evil Below, Lords of the Deep and The Rift aka Endless Decent. I think I must make it my mission to see them all.)

Of course nothing will ever come close to the awesomeness of James Cameron's epic but horror maestro Sean S. Cunningham takes a stab (terrible joke). And indeed this one has an awful lot in common with the former title and is quite entertaining. It also features a very Friday the 13th ending moment which made me giggle.

While this primarily is a creature feature it does well enough in other areas to hold together well. And the creature is pretty funky too. It has a cast filled with recognisable 90's actors who you've seen in a thousand things before but just don't know the name of.

The one thing this does have the The Abyss doesn't is a bit of gore. Some nice deaths in this one, a favourite being death by an air gun thingy. You'll see.

I had a lot of fun with this one. Pretty similar to Leviathan in that respect although I dare say I think this was just a little classier. Let's see how the others hold up.

No comments:

Post a Comment