Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Vow


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Belinda

And now we get to the straight romance. The one about memory loss but it's based on a true story which makes it completely believable though right? Hmm, well perhaps the most basic element of the premise but nothing beyond that.

I would count myself as one of the few Channing Tatum but not in roles like this. He can pull off charming and handsome well enough, and even most of the emotional beats, I just wish he would learn to open his mouth when he speaks. Rachel McAdams seems born to play roles.

I'll admit the main draw for seeing this film was to spot a friend who was an extra in one of the scenes. I didn't manage to see her but the film doesn't exactly prompt me to watch it again just for another look.

The most hipster wedding I've ever seen on film. I started disliking the couple right away. Now while I'll admit that situation they are in is pretty shitty for both parties I really didn't care enough about their relationship or them as characters to fully invest any emotion into it. The problem for me is we a rushed through their time together to get to the set up that drives them apart that we end up more in the frame of mind of Rachel McAdams, having to discover their relationship purely by what Channing Tatum is trying to remind her about it, not by what we've seen or felt. Consequently it's easier for us to root for Tatum to give up his unbelievable noble efforts and let her go than it is to root for them to get back together.

I think 50 First Dates is actually more romantic. This is obviously more dramatic, and will hit the weepy factor for many. It's defiantly not horrible but I never quite got there for it to work with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment