Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chronicle


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Jordan, Amberly, Michael

Yay! This was everything I could have hoped for after viewing the trailer. There was a big opportunity here for some extreme suckage but thankfully these freshman filmmakers have managed to make one of those films that feels like it was made just for me.

Now, I am a big fan of the doco-style found footage movie which has been abused a lot over recent years and is rarely done well but I think really works here for the most part (I wish my cheap home video cameras shot in 2k). And again, for the most part, the fx worked really well too. I noted Rhythm and Hues in the credits, so no shock there.

Really jealous to learn that director Josh Trank and writer Max Landis are the same age as me and have made exactly the kind of film I would want to make given the opportunity. They've taken the Akira-like concept of observing what happens when angsty teens get the powers of a god and given it a modern and personal spin. And despite having far more modest goals that that anime epic it still has some big moments and a great climax.

To top it off, I think the actors do a great job with their characters giving us something to invest in. Nice to see Alex Russell on the big screen after being able to watch him work filming Wasted on the Young.

Make an effort to go out and see this one at the cinema. At the moment, this is the film to beat for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment