Monday, January 30, 2012

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Why would I see this? Well there's no way it could possibly be as bad as the first one. And it's not. It's definitely not great but you could do worse. Where else are you gonna see The Rock sing a song while playing the ukulele or Michael Caine riding a giant bee?

The only holdovers from the first instalment I can see are Josh Hutcherson, the pretty cool score by Andrew Lockington and the bastardisation of another beloved Jules Verne novel. They do get away with it somewhat by treating the novel as a treasure map within the story, just like the first. They also throw in some 20 000 leagues for good measure and set up a trilogy capper with from the Earth to the Moon.

First off, I'm gonna say, the 3D is great and the Fx are way better this time around. I don't like what I hear about the poor fx houses getting cheated out of wages in the first instalment but I still didn't care for their work. Thing look pretty good this time and there a range of creatures and incredible vistas keeping things looking very pretty.

Once again the 3D is abused for many gimmicky tricks in the name of fun. I didn't mind so much though.

Luis Guzmán doesn't fare to well in this but the rest of the cast were fine, even Vanessa Hudgens.

I'll probably never see this again but it's not too horrific and definitely a step up from part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment