Monday, January 16, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Amberly, Jordan, Tyler, Josh

I saw the original version a few years ago when it played in cinemas and never felt the desire to return to it or the rest in the series. For me, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, it played out like just another BBC midsummer murder style episode but with some rape and a whole bunch of character stuff that just made the film feel overly long.

I felt exactly the same way with David Fincher's version. The biggest discernible difference between the two and what I like most about the new version was the opening title design. That was awesome.

Of course this new film has immaculate technical polish and for all the reports of it being "cold" I thought it actually softened our main characters somewhat. The structural problems are really felt when you see this at a late session and are already tired, it feels like it doesn't really start until halfway through and then there's a whole extra film on the end of the film. Perhaps all this extra character stuff will come in handy if and when they make the next two and continue the story but as a stand-alone it's very annoying.

There are some great moments in the film and Fincher manages to get suspense out of sequences where I already know the outcome. He also shows once again that people on computers doing research can be cinematic.

It's a troublesome film for me because while I haven't read the novel, having seen the original I didn't much care for the story going in. I do love Fincher's style, I just wish it was used one something else.

1 comment:

  1. Finally got a chance to see this yesterday and was impressed - I enjoyed the murder mystery, the cinematic scope and yes, the opening title sequence was a treat as they are rarely used for a dramatic movie - I think the US mainly utilises them for their fantasy/ comic book films; and of course, the UK has a long tradition of crafting them for their James Bond opening credit sequence (I love these personally).

    I hope they do make the sequels, but with a reported $100 million budget that unfortunately does not look like it may be able to be generated in audience sales to mark it into blockbuster status; I fear the inferior Swedish telemovie sequels (so sayeth Ben Wilkinson) will have to suffice to complete the trilogy filmically - ah well, Noomi Rapace lives on! :)

    ReplyDelete