Tuesday, November 22, 2011

We Need to Talk About Kevin


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Tyler, Amberly

From what I had heard, I was expecting this to be a little harsher. Perhpas I was expecting something more along the lines of a hard drama like Rabbit Hole but it was quite a bit more abstract than that. Almost dream like, jumping back and forth through time. It keeps you at a distance, never allows you to fully connect with any of the characters, which I find very problematic.

Make no mistake though, Tilda Swinton and the various kids that play Kevin are awesome. It's a little odd she appears to be waring contacts because she just stares for most of the film.

Because the events of the climax are foreshadowed right from the beginning, there is a sense of dread brooding throughout. Unfortunately for me, but perhaps fortunately for others, the events aren't shown in the film. Really the film isn't about that, but for me it never got to a climax that the build up suggested. I do like the final moments though.

It's an interesting one, and I do love my evil child films. It just wasn't as gripping as I was hoping for, it's more of a slow burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment