Monday, September 19, 2011

Fright Night


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Belinda

I've been so busy I haven't seen a film in 5 days! Serious withdrawal. So let's get back into it.

And what better way than a surprisingly decent remake of a classic 80's horror I love. Who would have thought the director of Lars and the Real Girl would pull this one off?

The best thing about the remake is Colin Farrell's performance. He's delightfully sinister. David Tennant's take on the Peter Vincent character is very different, hilarious and as a bonus they give him more to do as well. Christopher Mintz-Plasse has the unenviable task of portraying Evil Ed, probably the most iconic character from the first film and he does ok, they give him a great death.

Oh and there's a cameo from Chris Sarandon that's delightful for fans of the original.

One of the things I loved about this film is the look of the vampires when they go full monster mode. It looks just like the awesome poster from the original film. It's one of those things you see on the cover and think, oh man that looks cool, but then never quite pull it off in the film. Well they do now.

There's also a few surprises along the way that I really liked. I really liked their climax. Perhaps it's not as scary as it could have been but they do keep the humour in tact. Also there's a fun "Children of Men" style one take car driving scene that comes out pretty great.

The 3D looks fine. Only a few spots where they draw attention to it but actually filming it in 3D means there's no annoying layering issues.

Overall I really had a great time watching this one. My experience may be tainted by the fact that I could just be so happy to be watching any film again, so I'll have to see it again to be sure, but as far as remakes go, it's definitely one of the better ones. I want to watch the original again now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment