Sunday, June 26, 2011

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly

Smell is one sense film can't create. The best thing about this film is how Tom Tykwer never resorts to CG smoke to represent smell, he manages to do it with camera, editing, acting, music, lighting, everything that film has to offer. And it completely works for me.

I believe this was also the first time I saw Ben Whishaw and I've made sure to watched everything he's been in since, I love him. He's perfectly creepy and I may be alone in this but I also find him completely sympathetic too. Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman also do a great job with their respective parts at opposite ends of the film.

I also love the story, haven't read the novel, so again, just going by the film. It's a grand journey, the kind where you feel like you get your monies worth. A whole life covered from birth to death, traversing across many locations and a whole bunch of emotions. I love how I'm invested in the main character but when he's stalking a victim he still can be scary. And what a beautiful climax. A huge risk, it should be utterly ridiculous, but all the hard work setting it up pays off in that scene. It's handled beautifully.

The music works wonders here, a lot of the time it's the equivalent of smell in many areas of the film. It's a magnificent score.

Yep this works for me. Really love this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment