Friday, June 24, 2011

Cars 2


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Cars is the one Pixar film I can't get into. It's just a bit much to accept this world of cars and no humans the amount of questions of logic it raises is baffling beyond belief. I can't connect to any of the character and I don't care for any of them. The message of the first film is nice, telling a race car to stop and smell the flowers, I get that, and it worked. Here though they've forgotten their own message and glamoured everything up in a world wide spy racing extravaganza. It didn't help though, I still can't accept this world.

The best thing about the film was the first trailer for Pixars next output, Brave. I am SO down with them doing a celtic style heroine adventure in mystical lands of old. Blue fairy thing? Bow and arrow wielding horse riding firey haired heroine vs Bear? YES. Then the new 3D trailer for the Lion King re-release, which was neat but I hate they've tried to dimentionalise the 2D elements instead of just keeping them flat but in 3D space like they used to in the 50s. You can't see 3D in flat colour and consequentially it just makes the line work jutt out strangely. Then the new Toy Story Toon, Hawaiian Vacation. God I love Ken. and it was easily the best part of going to see Cars 2, it's hilarious and great to catch up with all our favourite characters again.

The Next best thing about the film was that unlike Kung Fu Panda 2 yesterday there was only a small handful of children in the massive theatre and they was all situated miles away from me. I practically had my own private screening, so that was nice.

Now for the actual film, which starts off cool enough with British spy car Finn McMissile infiltrating some oil wells in the ocean. Michael Caine sounds like he's phoning it in, but the action was good enough. But then the film proper starts and it becomes clear pretty soon that the horrifically annoying comedy relief Mater is going to be the focus of tis film, god help us. In fact the whole film kicks off because of a toilet gag.

From there this film feels like it's just pandering to children's wish fulfilment. I don't think I laughed once although thankfully I was rarely completely bored. Mainly because I was playing a game of spot the re-used set assets. I presumed they would use some Ratatouille stuff for Paris and I'm pretty sure they used the One Man Band courtyard for Italy. I also noticed the drive in was showing the Incredimobiles.

What I don't get is cars eating human food, and apparently they drink and leak oil but there seems to be a tank full of shit at the airport. And they are talking about having to replace fossil fuels with alternate, they make reference to dinosaurs. There are no other animals in this world, I have to logically assume that there once were and these cars had some sort of uprising and killed everything. Whatever. You're not supposed to think about that.

Pixar can keep their Cars franchise, which I hear will include a Planes instalment very soon. I view it like I view the Twilight franchise. I don't have to like it and am baffled by its popularity but if it's making them THAT much money to fund cool new projects like I think Brave will be then Why not. Doesn't mean that I like it or have to watch it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment