Saturday, June 11, 2011

Beauty and the Beast


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Michael

This looks AMAZING all cleaned up in HD projected on a big screen. I saw this originally at the cinema with mum in '91. I think I like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin more than this one which, despite the cute little enchanted furniture sidekicks is done as a more serious story. But I guess that's why the adults like it so much too, this film and later, Pixar's Up, are the only 2 animated films to be nominated for best Picture.

It's also the 2nd feature to use CAPS for their colouring and compositing, and the first full 3D background. Everyone knows the shot, it's great. Watching it again like this you can really appreciate the detail in the background art.

Apart from the title song and Be Our Guest I didn't remember any of the others. They are so music theatre. Howard Ashman was a great lyricist though and he is very much missed.

There are some very funny bits in the animation, especially regarding the Beast when he's falling for Belle. There are also a lot of very kiddie gags I don't really care for, mainly when the furniture fights the angry mob. But it's nothing that overwhelms. (Unlike Pocahontas which I have never been able to sit through in its entirety due to those bloody talking animals.)

Great to catch up again and I hope Disney hurries up and release more or their stuff with nice clean HD versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment