Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Monsters


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

This film made it on my top 10 list for last year. I think it's a beautiful, simple and effective film. It's like an art house mumblecore version of Godzilla or something like that. The Monsters don't have that much to do with the story, it's really about following these two characters and the road trip they have together.

More than that, this film is the first I know of that completely embodies every ideology I have about making a film. This is exactly how I want to make films, no budget, just a few good actors who can improvise on location with me and a camera and sound guy and I can create anything else I need in post. That's how I've been doing it all along and it suddenly felt justified and legitimate when this came out. Like perhaps what I'm doing isn't a waste of my life.

I watched the bluray today with the commentary from the actors and the director. The first thing they do is confirm my suspicion that the pre-title sequence is indeed the end of the film, which is a bittersweet thought.

It's a slow paced character drama, something I usually don't enjoy much but of course this has the added bonus of a few monsters. I can't separate the knowledge I have about the making of the film from my opinion of the film itself so I think it's probably getting a lot of leeway in my head when it comes to the plot. But I still really enjoy watch this and hope you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment