Saturday, May 28, 2011

Brick


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly, Jordan

Rian Johnson makes a hell of a film debut with this. It's a beautifully crafted classic film noir only set in a modern day high school.

The most iconic thing about the film is the dialogue, it practically has its own dialect. It takes a little getting used to but it's a hell of a ride once you catch on, and it's just so damn cool.

In fact everybody in this is really cool, especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt as our detective on the case, looking for answers about his lost love. Noah Fleiss, who I just saw as a really little kid in Josh and S.A.M. plays the heavy and the great Lukas Haas who I also saw earlier in the year as a kid in Lady in White is the kingpin. The only one that didn't quite click with me is Nora Zehetner as a sort of femme fatale. But I think it's more a strange personal issue I have with the limited pitch of her voice and not based in any real reasoning.

The editing also stands out to me, it keeps the scenes moving and is slick and stylish. Especially in the brawls and punch ups and a really neat foot chase. I love me my foot chases.

Very cool music too.

All in all highly recommended. It just makes you feel cooler for having seen it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment