Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sucker Punch


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

Perhaps it's not fashionable, but screw the nay-sayers I fucking loved this. This met my needs from what I wanted from it, It's exactly the kind of pure escapism I wanted today. It is style over substance, make no mistake. It is a video game, it is an exercise in modern comic book action directing and nothing more. The plot is paper thin, there are shameless excuses for disjointed but visually appealing action fantasy sequences and a bizarre eclectic mash of music and setting that should not work and for most people won't. I probably won't even like this in a few years but i had a hell of a lot of fun with it today.

I think it's the epitome of everything that's great and everything that's wrong with today's action films. This film just unashamedly embraces it and I kinda love it for that, warts and all. The pace is never lacking, the good and bad are pretty black and white, the characters are there to look sexy shooting guns, I think a select few a a little something more going on but only barely. The patented Snyder Speed Ramps and fast shifting camera is in full effect. There's one sequence on a train full of robots that must have 100 set-ups that all flow together into one continuos shot. It's more cartoon than real.

I became one of those jerks that love Michael Bay films today. Zeppelins! Zombie steampunck clockwork soilders! Dragons! Robots! Mecha Samurai! Explosions! Violence! Sexy girls with machine guns in slow motion with a hardcore remix of an old song playing! Boy this one got me. It's kind of shameful isn't it? I actually really loved the look of it though. This is the first films Snyder has made that isn't based off a previous property. But it has just as many visually iconic moments.

Most intriguing of all is the full on musical burlesque routine in the end credits that has obviously been deleted from the film. It looks like there was more than one actually, They looked great! I must get the bluray primarily to see if they are included in their entirety and to see where they were meant to go? Also to have a cool looking giant music video to have on mute in the background of parties. Let's face it that's what this is good for. I did actually like the story but I'm not above admitting it's nothing spectacular.

So can I recommend this to others? You will never enjoy this wanting to see a great story or through provoking masterpiece. It's mindless diversion and exploitative fun and nothing more. If you can accept it on this level alone, which most sane people who aren't as hard up for entertainment as I am won't be, then you might just find yourself leaving the theatre in a better mood than when you went in. Am I alone in this? Don't judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment