Thursday, March 31, 2011

Never Let Me Go


IMDB
First time viewed: Yes
Current Release: Yes
Watched With: Myself

So this film finally gets release in Australia today. I've had the bluray for a month but held off watching until I could see it in the cinema first. I'm glad I did because some of the photography is gorgeous even if a lot of it is gloomy.

This is a soft and very sad film. For the subject matter it's dealing with it could have been more sensational but instead Mark Romanek keeps things quiet and melancholic. In the same way, the science fiction aspects are played down to a point they are barley noticeable. I think this is a character relationship piece first and foremost.

And the three leeds are just super. As are their younger counterparts that have the slightly more daunting task of setting everything up. I really loved the young Keira Knightley, she made such a good match with the older version of the character too. And of course Carey Mulligan is great and I can't not love Andrew Garfield.

This is a pretty bleak film. A much smaller and subtler version of The Island, as Jordan would say. The only thing that really grated me about it was the voice over narration at the end. It spells out a few things I think could have done another way, it felt superfluous. I think it popped up a few times in the middle and didn't bother me but something about the opening and closing of the film with the narration felt a little awkward.

A minor grievance. The rest of the film is top notch. I love me my thought provoking sci-fi and as depressing as it is it's also lovely in a way and well worth having a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment