Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Myself

It's no wonder I hardly remember this movie from the first time I watched it when I was younger. It's a wonder that a movie like this even exists. Is this based on an existing property? It feel like it is but I think that's exactly what they were going for. a Doc Savage/Flash Gorden type of thing. It's utterly bizarre and pretty damn funny.

It stars Peter Weller and John Lithgow, (both of whom recently showed up on Dexter) Ellen Barkin, Christopher Lloyd and Jeff Goldblum. I'd also like to note Clancy Brown as Rawhide.

Peter Weller is so straight as the lead. In fact the whole film is done straight you could almost thing that everyone involved was taking the film completely seriously. But the story and characters are so far out hilarious and ridiculous that that would be impossible. It's no wonder it bombed at the box office but then became a cult classic.

It's a strange little curiosity and it was good to watch it again after so long. But I think I'll need to wait another 5 years before I feel the need to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment