Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Fifth Element


IMDB
First time viewed: No
Current Release: No
Watched With: Amberly

Wow that trailer is useless.

This film takes me back. Apparently it is ALWAYS on TV and I ALWAYS seem to miss it. Watching it for the first time on bluray was a treat though. I just love this movie, I think I holds up really well too. But perhaps that's just the nostalgia talking. Showing it to someone who's never seen it before I did think, man this is a pretty strange movie with a lot of far out elements (no pun intended). But I loved all that about it when I watched it growing up and I still do.

One of my favourite things about it are the rapid cross-cutting scenes between the various characters and plots threads that are either similar or opposing and the juxtapositions and dialogues created by these parallel edits. That sounded wanky but I mean it. Scenes like Ruby having sex with a flight attendant cut with the shuttle taking off cut with Zorg wasting away one of his underlings.

I also love the setting up of all these different group trying to get the same goal but in opposition of one another, the film juggles them all incredibly well. Although if a few of them, e.g. the military, the priests and Korben all talked to one another they would probably realise they were trying to do the same thing and help each other out instead of trying to stop each other, which always frustrated me when I was younger. I guess you could take that as a social comment on communicative skills. Also there would be a really boring film.

Costume design by Jean-Paul Gaultier. Okay!

Check out all the peeps on the youtubes doing a rendition of the diva dance song. heh, I must admit I used to sing along to that too..

P.S. When I watched Gothika and Babylon A.D. I spent most of the runtime giggiling to myself thinking about the "gimmie the cashhhhhhh" guy directing it. It's a pretty funny image.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Eric Serra soundtrack! I think I have this, Goldeneye and Leon as well - sly Euro-centric snap and sophistication :)

    ReplyDelete